Coronation Hall was built in the 1930’s as a dance hall, and was named to celebrate the coronation of King George VI. The historic village of Bristol, Quebec, was already an established tourist destination, welcoming visitors primarily from Montreal and Ottawa, who arrived by train. Over the years, Coronation Hall saw many dances, wedding receptions, and other parties, and became a central part of the community’s social life. By the 1960’s business faded and the rustic dance hall closed down. Over the next thirty years, the hall was used for storage, neglected and all but forgotten.
In early 2003, Coronation Hall was acquired by the Graham family who were looking for a location where they could process apples into high quality sweet, sparkling, and ice ciders, and also welcome visitors. On October 11, 2008, Cidrerie Coronation Hall Cider Mills celebrated its gala opening and became Pontiac County’s first licensed winery, making ‘Bristol Light Cider’.
The Graham family business also makes non-alcoholic apple and raspberry cider, and offers a variety of jams, jellies and baked goods that can be purchased or savored in the tea room and gift shop.
Coronation Cider Mills is open for tours, tastings, orchard visits and high tea.
In 2012, Gary, Norma and Greg Graham opened the doors of Coronation Hall for the première season of Under the Pines Music Festival. Once again the glorious acoustics were put to use, and the sounds of music resonated from the rustic dance hall. Under the Pines is thrilled to return to Coronation Hall in 2013 for a second season bringing classical music to the beautiful Pontiac region.
For more information about Cidreie Coronation Cider Mills, visit their website:
www.coronationhall.com and facebook Or contact Greg Graham at: 819-647-2547
Coronation Hall Cider Mills
206 River Road, Bristol, Quebec
Open May to December
Tuesday to Saturday 10am-4pm
Or by reservation
The Church of the Holy Name of Mary, more commonly known as St. Mary’s Church, is on the Ottawa River, in the town of Quyon, Quebec. The village, already the site of the Sainte-Marie Mission, was founded in 1848 and derived its name from the Quyon River. Originally the town was spelled "Quio", from the Algonquin word kweia (pronounced "quia"), meaning "Smaller River" or "river with a sandy bottom".
Champlain was probably the first white man to see the mouth of the Quio River on his way up the Ottawa River in 1613. This long established waterway of the natives soon became well known to the fur traders, voyageurs and missionaries. As this new fur trade sprang up along the Ottawa River, trading posts or forts were set up, including one at Quyon in 1821.
The area was settled by Irish immigrants after the Irish Potato Famine. In 1875, the village was incorporated and its spelling was changed to "Quyon" to provide a pronunciation acceptable to French and English-speaking residents.
In 1877, the early mission chapel was replaced by a frame building, veneered with brick. In 1907-1908, this structure was surrounded by a large stone church, with a beautifully designed interior. It is the church that stands today and is an example of Classical Revival Quebec Architecture with Romanesque and Gothic elements. In the ancient tradition, St. Mary’s points to the east.
While the actual church is Romanesque, the spire shows a Gothic influence, below which, is an open belfry supported by four Corinthian columns topped with four pineapples, that point towards the four corners of the earth. Not often seen in Christian art, the pineapple is a symbol of welcome and hospitality. The pineapple also symbolizes Christ because each plant gives its own life to produce a single fruit.
The main part of St. Mary’s is divided into the nave and the sanctuary. While the foundations of the parish are Irish, a French and continental influence can be seen in the use of the fleur-de-lys stenciled throughout the church. This stylized lily symbolizes the trinity and Mary, and is also an emblem of the kings of France.
Well known Quebec artist Rose-Anne Monna, inspired by medieval French country churches, created three works that adorn the church, and represent Mary, patroness of St. Mary’s, the risen Christ and the Holy Family.
The church houses several restored plaster statues. Of particular interest is the statue of Mary that once stood over the high altar and a statue of St. Bridget of Ireland, that once stood in a church of that name in North Onslow.
St. Mary’s Church, situated on the banks of the Ottawa, is a testament to the rich culture and heritage of the Quyon area.
St. Mary’s Church,
5 John Street,
*Not Wheelchair Accessible.
If your require assistance to attend a concert please call 613-298-9806
View Larger Map
St. Alphonsus of Liguori Church, Chapeau, Quebec
Saint-Alphonsus Church of Liguori Church, overlooking the picturesque village of Chapeau, on Allumette Island, is a magnificent stone structure built in 1888 by Montreal architect, Victor Roy. Its Gothic spire, reaching upwards towards the sky, can be seen for miles around. A plaque on the front of the church explains the different spellings of the church’s name in French and in English.
Allumette Island was first inhabited by the Algonquin Indians who wished to maintain control of trade on the Ottawa River. In 1650 a battle with the Iroquois took place. With the annihilation of the Algonquins, the island returned to wilderness for some 170 years.
It was not until 1818 that Europeans began to settle Allumette Island. They worked mostly as loggers, or for the Hudson's Bay Company, which had a fur trading post just upstream at Fort William. The preferred transport route was still the river, so most families built their homes south on the island.
In 1836 Fathers de Bellefeuille and Dupuis reported to the Bishop of Montreal that “sixty families were living on the Island”, and, “there should be an organized effort made for the religious interests of the settlers and Indians.” In 1839 the church of Saint-Alphonse-de-l'Isle-aux-Allumettes Parish was built at Church Point. In 1853 an intense fire destroyed almost all the buildings including the church, and thereafter, the population settled in the northern part of the island, on the current site of Chapeau village.
In 1885 arrangements were made to erect the new stone church in Chapeau. The cornerstone was blessed and dedicated to St. Alphonsus Liguori, December 12, 1888.
Saint-Alphonsus Church, built to serve as a cathedral, for a diocese that never materialized, has ministered to the people of the area for well over a century. The historic building has two rood-lofts; the upper loft houses a grand pipe organ, designed and built by the Casavant Brothers of Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec. The entire church is one of painstaking craftsmanship, including the hand-painted murals, a pulpit that is the duplicate of that in Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris, elegant sculptures, and a sculpted apostolic scene, imported from France. The splendid stained glass windows are true works of art.
The church, designated a Heritage Site by the Government of Quebec, has recently been restored, and remains a lasting testament to the faith of priests and people in the past.
*Not Wheelchair Accessible.